Responsibilities:Lagos State Judicial Service Commission
I ADMINISTRATION AND HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
The Administration and Human Resources Department is the engine room of every Ministry, Extra-Ministerial Department and Agency in the Lagos State Public Service. It co-ordinates other functional Departments and Units in MDAs except Audit Unit, Legal Unit, Public Affairs Unit and Information Communication &Technology (ICT) Unit that are normally under the direct supervision of the Chief Executive Officer/Accounting Officer.
In Judicial Service Commision, the department undertakes the following functions:
- Servicing of all meetings (Statutory, Emergency and Special) of the Commission.
- Implementing all policy decisions and directions of the Commission.
- Assisting the Executive Secretary in the day to day running of the Commission, include the welfare of Commission Members.
- Management of all matters relating to staff promotion, conversion, confirmation of appointment, study leave, staff welfare and discipline via the instrumentality of the personnel Management Board(Senior Staff).
- Preparation of eligibility list of the potential Magistrates, Presidents and other members ofCustomary Courts and other judicial staff on Grade Level 07 and above.
- Designing development training programme for the Presidents and other members of Customary Courts.
- Quality control over the provision of office Infrastructure for Customary Courts by their Local Government Areas/LCDA of domicile.
- Assisting the Executive Secretary to investigate petitions against Judicial and non-Judicial staff via the PMB.
- Human capacity development by way of staff training, mentoring and development.
- Management of assets of the Commission including Office building.
- Liaison function i.e. interfaces with other arms of Government and MDAs in matters affecting the well-being of the Commission.
- Any other duty which may be assigned by the Executive Secretary from time to time.
II ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT
Accounts Department is charged with the financial responsibilities of the Commission. It is made up of five (5) units viz:
- Central Pay Office
- Reconciliation Unit
- Fund Unit
- Pension Unit
It is under the direct supervision of State Treasury Office, Alausa, Ikeja. It reports to the Executive Secretary.
III MAGISTRACY/CUSTOMARY COURTS UNIT
The Unit is under direct control of the Finance and Administration. It is in charge of collecting, processing, and documenting information of the Magistrate and Customary Court personnel.
There are seven (7) Magisterial Districts in Lagos State each being headed by a Chief Magistrate GL.17, (Administration), spread across the five division of the State as follows:
- Lagos Island
IV PENSIONS UNIT
The Pension Unit hasthe responsibility of administering the pension profiles of retired Judges from the service of the State Judiciary. The Unit is also in charge of their post-service welfare. The unit is saddled with the following responsibilities:
- Payment of gratuity, pension and other retirementBenefits of retiring Judges,
- Ensuring prompt payment of monthly pensions to retired Judges,
- Payment of all unpaid pensions (by the Civil Service Pension Office) accruing to retired Judges beforethe takeover date.
- The unit is involved in the annual verification ofretired Judges tagged ‘I AM ALIVE’ and has acquiredBio-Metrics machines in order to be computer
V PUBLIC AFFAIRS OFFICE
This unit manages all matters meant for the attention of the press, electronic media and the public. These include public enlightenment, jingles and publicity of the Commission’s programmes, projects and activities.
1). Media Monitoring: Printing and Electronic Media
2). Information Management/Dissemination
3). Projecting the good image of the Commission and defend its action before the public.
4). Media and Public Relations relates with the Mediafor publicity of the Commission’s events such as legal week, appointment, retirement.
5). Events Management
6). Website monitoring and management.
VI INFORMATION COMMUNICATION & TECHNOLOGY UNIT
INFORMATION COMMUNICATION & TECHNOLOGY UNIT
UNDER THE SUPERVISION OF THE EXECUTIVE SECRETARY
The functions of the Unit include:
- Liaising with the Ministry of Science and Technology on IT matters.
- Provision of the on-going IT support to the Commission.
- Coordinating the activities of the Unit in terms of maintenance, repairs and upgrading of computers.
- Advising on budgetary provision and procurement of general IT equipment meant for the Commission.
- Ensuring that all equipment are properly set up toLagos State standards:
(a) Hardware configuration
(b) Software (i.e. Lagos State Government Licensed Copies)
- c) Antivirus
- Responsibility for addition/movement/removal of computers.
VII INTERNAL AUDIT
The Internal Audit Unit is directly under the supervision of the Executive Secretary (JSC). The unit carries out the following responsibilities:
- Appraisal of Internal Control
- Examination of books and records
- Payment Auditing of vouchers
- Quality assurance services
- Post payment audit
- Asset verification
- Staff Audit
- Audit and verification of pension and gratuity
- Monitoring and evaluation.
VIII PROCUREMENT UNIT
IX PLANNING UNIT
The Unit is designed to enhance planning and budgeting arrangement in the state, it will go a long way in supporting and improving the capacity of MEPB to deliver on its functions effectively especially in the area of developing a robust Annual Budget document for the state.
- Provision of support to the newly created economic intelligence unit in Ministry of Economic Planning Budget
- Management of Medium Term Sector Strategy (MTSS) and Medium Term Expenditure Frame Work (MTEF) process
- Preparation of Annual Budget on the same format as well as implementation and control
- Project Monitoring and control
- Rendition of Revenue, Expenditure Return
- Any statistical matters.